Hi there friends!! Happy Summer! School is out and I am ready to blog!
So, let’s get started!
Look at what I discovered one morning on the kitchen counter…
Yep. Some very overripe bananas. We have all had a bunch of bananas get overripe at some point or another. However, this bunch was different. When I bought them, just a day and a half earlier, they were very green, so I figured we had a few days to eat them. Hmmm… what made them ripen so fast?
My conclusion? They were sitting on the counter right beside a cantaloupe also waiting to ripen. Apparently, ripening magic happened overnight and both the bananas and cantaloupe were overripe by morning. Unfortunately, the melon could not be saved (ugh! I hate throwing food away), but I knew a gazillion ways to use the bananas. 🙂
I knew that I did not want to make banana bread this time, and I did not have the necessary ingredients for banana pudding, so I opted for a banana bar cookie with dark chocolate chips. YUM! These bars are great for anyone that loves bananas!
Here’s how I made them…
Chocolate-Chip Banana Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large bananas, mashed
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg, vanilla, and bananas and mix well.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly to banana mixture and mix until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture evenly in baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Cool and cut into squares.
*These taste great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! 🙂