If I were a bettin’ girl, I would bet the bank that you’ve seen this idea all over Pinterest, Instagram, and any other social media forum you may follow. I know I have! I finally had to break down and try them because they look so darn yummy. 🙂
Since April was “Frugal Month” in our home, I went searching through the MANY recipes for these little balls of happiness to find a recipe that would work with what I already had in my fridge and pantry. Almost every recipe I found contained just one ingredient that I did not have on hand.
Refusing to become discouraged, I decided that I would just play around with the consensus of the recipes and use the closest ingredients I had as substitutions. Guess what!! It worked!! They were delicious!
Just think of all the different ways to make these with different flavor combinations!!
Here’s how I made them…
Sprinkled Cake Mix Truffles
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup packaged white cake mix
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounce package white almond bark
- Mix cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add flour, cake mix, and salt and mix until dough comes together into a ball.
- Take small amounts of dough and roll into balls (about 32-36) and place onto parchment-covered cookie sheet. Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes to “firm up”.
- While dough is cooling, prepare almond bark according to directions on the package. (I use the old-fashioned double-boiler method so that the coating stays warm for the duration of dipping.)
- Remove cookie sheet from the freezer and coat each ball by dipping into coating with a spoon or fork. Let excess fall back into remaining coating and place coated balls back onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- When finished dipping all balls, place cookie sheet back into freezer for approximately 20 minutes or until solid.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.