Hi there friends!
I have a question for you.
Do you like celery? I mean, really like celery?
Well, I LOVE celery! When I was a little girl, my mom would make me celery with peanut butter and I was in heaven! I still love a nice big, green piece of celery with peanut butter, but I have definitely broadened my use of celery since becoming an adult. I use it anytime I can by adding it to soups, salads, stir-frys and stuffing.
Along with taste and cost benefits, celery has many health benefits as well. Celery is one of the foods highlighted in my 100 Best Health Foods book. The following are the benefits that the book lists…
- it is low in calories and fat and high in fiber
- it is a good source of potassium
- it’s calcium content protects bones and may help regulate blood pressure
- and, it may offer protection from inflammation
Plus, a couple of benefits I have personally found are…
- it’s high water content helps me stay hydrated and feel full
- the crunchiness helps me eat slower, which benefits digestion and helps me to eat less overall
Now, on to the celery salad. I know that usually celery is an addition to a salad, not the base of the salad, but we all know that I don’t always follow the “usual”. 🙂
I got this idea from a large head of celery that seemed to be staring me down from the bottom shelf of my fridge, as if it was just begging to be used. I needed to use the entire head, so that’s where the idea of using it as the base of the salad came from. The remaining ingredients were compiled from a “a little of this and a little of that” from my veggie drawer and a dressing made from some mayonnaise, lime juice and my Homemade Ranch Dip Mix.
I chopped, whisked, stirred and then came the taste test. I loved it!! And so did Hubby! It was cold, creamy, light and refreshing…definitely a great summer salad.
Here’s how I made it…
South of the Border Celery Salad
|1 head celery, chopped||1 cup mayonnaise|
|½ – ¾ pint grape tomatoes, halved||1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix|
|3 green onions, chopped||Juice of 1 lime|
|1/3 cup cilantro, chopped||Salt and pepper to taste|
|2 jalapenos, minced|
- Combine celery, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and jalapenos in large bowl.
- In smaller bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.