Hi there friends! Happy Monday!
I know that a lot of people have nicknamed the day Meatless Monday. Well, I have a recipe for you…I promise that this recipe contains no meat. On my honor. 🙂
All joking aside, I’m not downplaying meatless meals in any way. In fact, I prepare and eat many meatless meals. They definitely have many health benefits along with budget benefits.
I just don’t necessarily go meatless on any particular day of the week. I guess I’m more of a Taco Tuesday girl. 🙂 Plus, my youngest son has nicknamed it Meatloaf or Meatball Monday. He has said it’s up to me whether we have meatloaf or meatballs because “either one is good with him”. What mom can argue with that? Lol.
Although this recipe isn’t really appropriate for a dinner meal for Meatless (or meatloaf) Monday, it would be a great dessert to follow your meal. It’s easy on the budget as well since strawberries are in season and on sale almost everywhere.
I found this recipe on Pinterest when I had a lot of strawberries just waiting to be used and adapted it to the ingredients I had on hand at the time. It is absolutely delicious and you could use all kinds of berries and have awesome results!
Here’s the recipe…
Strawberry - Chocolate Chip Cake
|1 ½ cup flour||1 egg|
|1 ½ teaspoons baking powder||½ cup milk|
|1/8 teaspoon salt||1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|6 tablespoons butter, softened||1/3 cup chocolate chips + more for top of cake|
|1 cup sugar||1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced in half|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 cake pan.
- Stir dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix well; then add milk and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into greased cake pan and arrange strawberries and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely.