Hi there friends!
It’s summertime and blueberries are abundant (and on sale most places), so I thought this would be a great recipe to share with you today.
As you probably know (unless you’ve been under a rock), blueberries are not only a very yummy fruit, they are very high in nutritional value as well. Here are a few facts from 100 Best Health Foods about blueberries…
- they contain a cholesterol-lowering compound
- they can help prevent coronary heart disease, diabetes and cancers
- they help beat urinary tract infections
- they appear to help protect against intestinal upsets, including food poisoning and…
- their carotene, in the form of lutein and zeaxanthin, helps keep eyes healthy
The book goes on to say that blueberries preserve more of their vitamin C content if eaten raw and that they lose only a few nutrients when frozen.
I’ve shared serveral blueberry recipes in the past and this one is just as yummy. Just in case you want to take a look at my previous blueberry recipes, here are the links…
Yes! I love blueberries! ❤ They can be used in so many different ways. What are some ways you like to have your blueberries?
Before I give you the recipe I would like to warn you that this smells so good when it’s baking that you’ll have a hard time letting it cool for a few minutes before digging in. 🙂 Now that you’ve been warned, here’s how you make it…
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking pan/dish with cooking spray. A 9X9 square or a 9″ pie dish will do.
- Cream sugar and butter in mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg and mix well; then add milk and mix until well blended.
- Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until well blended.
- Carefully fold in blueberries and spread batter into baking dish.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter in small dish. Stir in sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over top of batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
- Serve with ice cream, if desired.