It’s “Souper Saturday” and I love soup!
I told my family a couple weeks back that I could probably eat soup for dinner every night…almost. That’s because I would miss tacos, but I make a pretty good taco soup, so I guess I would be able to cope. 🙂
My latest soup came to be due to a great sale on asparagus last week. It was $1.69 a pound, which is a rock bottom price where we live, so I bought two bunches. I had already figured on roasting the first bunch with some olive oil and garlic (my favorite way to eat asparagus), but I wanted to do something different with the second bunch.
I was hungry for soup (surprise, surprise), so I thought I would try making one in my Crock Pot (my other love) ❤ with asparagus. I just started adding ingredients and the following recipe came to be…
Asparagus and Potato Chowder
- 1 bunch asparagus with the ends trimmed away and cut into 1″-2″ pieces
- 3 large potatoes cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon course ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add asparagus and potatoes to Crock Pot and toss gently with flour.
- Add spices and chicken broth and cook on low for 4 hours or until potatoes reach desired tenderness.
- Add butter and heavy cream and heat for another 20-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with bread, if desired.