Hi there friends! I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I was busy visiting my beautiful, oldest daughter for her wedding to my wonderful new son-in-law! ❤ It was a beautiful wedding and we had a wonderful time visiting my daughter and granddaughter.
We’re home and settled and life has calmed down a little bit, so I’m back with a recipe for some yummy comfort food to fill your belly on a cool fall evening. It’s just a “grown-up” version of a simple macaroni and cheese recipe, but it’s delicious and who doesn’t love homemade mac-n-cheese?
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family has! Here are some of my suggestions:
-If you have some little ones (or big ones, for that matter), that don’t care for the “grown-up” ingredients, you can just leave them out and it still tastes great! I have some picky eaters, so I make one batch and divide it between two casserole dishes and make a “kid version” and an “adult version”.
-If you aren’t already using whole-grain pastas in your recipes, I suggest you try them in this recipe. Even the pickiest eaters won’t notice. 🙂
Jalapeno and Chive Mac-N-Cheese Topped with Tomato and Panko
- 1 (16 oz) box whole wheat pasta (elbow, penne or rotini)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound Velvetta
- 1/3 cup chives, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup panko
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and drain pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in saucepan and stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Stir Velvetta into milk mixture and heat until melted.
- Stir the cooked pasta, jalapeno, and chives into the cheese sauce and pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Top with tomato and panko and bake for 35-40 minutes.