To be honest, all I can focus on right now is the music in my head. I love the great sounds of the Sixties, such as The Beach Boys, Diana Ross and the Supremes and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Thank the heavens above for the great music of the decade because it definitely was an unsettled time for our country.
Today, we’re focusing on the year our “food scrapbook” was published…1963. I’m sure the assassination our nation’s 35th President, John F. Kennedy came to mind immediately. This tragic loss forever changed our country. Now, let’s look at some additional information and happenings of 1963…
- New home- $12,650.00
- Yearly income- $5807.00
- New car- $3233.00
- Gallon of gas $0.29
- Loaf of bread $0.22
I’m sure you love these prices just as much as I do! Let’s check out some of the happenings and pop culture of the year…
- President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on Friday, November 22nd in Dallas,Texas.
- Martin Luther King delivered his I Have a Dream speech.
- Studebaker went out of business and ended production.
- Alcatraz, the federal penitentiary known as “The Rock” closed.
- The first state lottery began in New Hampshire.
- The Beatles released the pop hit, I Want To Hold Your Hand.
- AT&T introduced the touch tone phone.
- Zip codes were implemented in the United States.
- Popular movies were Cleopatra, The Longest Day and To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Popular television programs were The Andy Griffith Show, The Flintstones and The Avengers.
There sure were a lot of memorable events and happenings from 1963. Now onto our “scrapbook”…
Most everyone knows how much I LOVE baking, so while taking a stroll through this book, I just had to pick a recipe to try. 😊 I am so glad I did! I made the Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies and they were delicious! The recipe is in the following “picture gallery”. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed our trip back to 1963…Thanks for riding along!