I’m here to start the short work week with a recipe that transforms a couple healthy ingredients into something decadent and yummy. The two ingredients I’m talking about are whole wheat flour and applesauce.
I bet you may be wondering if brownies containing these ingredients can still taste good. Well, I’m here to tell you…They sure can!! 🙂 I was pleasantly surprised in two ways.
The first way I was surprised was that the brownies still tasted like “real” brownies. I was afraid that they would taste “healthy”. I love to eat healthy foods, but I sure don’t want my brownies to taste healthy. 🙂 And I sure didn’t want them to taste healthy to my picky-eating boys. They had no clue that these were a little healthier for them than regular brownies! This momma always tries to sneak healthy ingredients into their food anytime she can. 😉
Secondly, I was concerned about the texture of the brownies. I was afraid that they would be thick and dense due to the whole wheat flour. Actually, it was quite the opposite. They came out like cake-like brownies. I’ll be honest…I have never liked cake-like brownies, so when they came out of the oven, I was prepared to adjust the recipe for the next time. Until…I tried them. There will be no adjustments made by me! I am a convert; I loved these cake-like brownies!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9×13 pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over low heat..
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until just combined.
- Pour the batter into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.