I’m sharing a recipe today that my entire family (including my picky boys) loves. Carolina Red Chicken. What is Carolina Red Chicken, you may be asking yourself right now. Well, it begins with one word…deliciousness.
Seriously, though, it’s chicken and a sauce called Carolina Red Sauce. So pretty simple, Carolina Red Chicken. I serve it shredded in a roll or tortilla, just like a pulled pork sandwich only with a different sauce blend and chicken in place of the pork.
I love this recipe for many reasons. It’s delicious, easy to prepare, everyone loves it and it’s easy on the food budget.
I always use boneless, skinless breast for my chicken dishes and the key to keeping it in budget is to buy when it’s on sale. My local supermarket puts the boneless, skinless breast fresh from the counter on sale for $1.68 a pound every so often. They limit to 10 pounds, which works great for me.
Five pounds of chicken fits perfectly in my large Crockpot, so I make 5 pounds right away and freeze the other 5 pounds to use for something else. Five pounds makes about four quarts of cooked chicken and sauce. For my family of five, this means four dinners and some leftovers. Of course, you could make less, especially for the first time to be sure your family likes the flavor.
Another money saver…combine this with the “day old bread trick” I posted about last week and you have a very inexpensive, yet yummy dinner. It works well with all different kinds of bread (I like to toast my rolls with garlic and cheese). You can dress up your sandwich as much as you like…lettuce, spinach, tomato, pickles, onions, cheese and so on. Make it your own. 🙂
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Whisk all ingredients (except chicken) together in a large bowl.
- Place chicken and 2 cups (about half) of the sauce in large Crockpot. Simmer 6-8 hours on low.
- About an hour or so before serving, remove chicken from the Crockpot and shred.
- Put shredded chicken back into Crockpot, add remaining sauce and simmer for the last hour or so.
- Freeze prepared Carolina Red Chicken and thaw when ready to use.
- You can refrigerate any unused sauce indefinitely.