Hi there again friends! It’s the beginning of a new week. I hope you had a great and restful weekend. I had extra time on Saturday to make a cake that I haven’t made in years…a pineapple upside-down cake. Yummy! I’ve been wanting to make one for a little while now, and I’m sure glad I did!
While I was at the supermarket picking up a few things for Saturday night’s dinner, I figured it would be a great time to go ahead and make a pineapple upside-down cake for dessert. So, I went ahead and grabbed a can of pineapple 🍍 and a jar of maraschino cherries 🍒 that I needed for the cake.
The only problem I had was that I’ve been wanting something made with coconut (or that tasted like coconut) for awhile now…so much so that I picked up a bottle of coconut extract the other day. Hmmm… 😉
Well, if you’re anything like me, you just might think that pineapple and coconut were created to go together. So, it was quite simple…I would just replace the vanilla extract called for in the recipe with coconut extract and see what happened. And guess what? It was absolutely delicious! It was almost like a pina colada in a cake! 🍹
I don’t think I’ll ever go back. In fact I think I’ll add some shredded coconut to the the top of the cake with the pineapples and cherries next time. 😄
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 slices of canned pineapple
- 4-5 maraschino cherries sliced in half
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in microwave in small bowl. Stir in brown sugar and water.
- Pour butter-brown sugar mixture into cake pan. Then arrange the pineapple and cherries in the cake pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with mixer on low until combined, then on medium for one minute.
- Carefully spoon cake batter into the pan with pineapple and cherries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes, loosen sides of cake from pan and turn onto cake plate.
Makes 8 servings. Refrigerate leftovers.