Hi there! I have a really sweet treat for your sweet tooth!
When my oldest daughter was visiting last month, she purchased a box of Poppin’ Peebles cereal. From my understanding, when mixed with the milk, the cereal is supposed to “pop” in your mouth just like Poprocks. Yeah, I know, where does this stuff come from?
Well, she didn’t get to eat them and didn’t want to waste luggage space, so they went up on the shelf in my pantry with explicit instructions to her little brothers that they were NOT to be eaten for breakfast. They are accustomed to mom having different cereals for breakfast and snacks. I promised them that I would do something with them that would turn out yummy.
Yesterday was the day! It’s been in the 110’s here, so I wanted to avoid the oven and marshmallow treats are great for that purpose.
This is basically just a marshmallow treat recipe, but I use less cereal than most recipes. Another thing I did differently…I usually use unsalted butter, but I used salted butter this time since the cereal is super sweet.
- 1 (16 oz) bag marshmallows (I usually use the minis for quicker melting)
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 8 cups Poppin Pebbles (any kind of “crispy” cereal works)
- In a large glass bowl (one that fits in your microwave), microwave the butter until melted.
- Add the marshmallows to the bowl and stir to coat with the butter.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir in between. Mine took a total of 2 minutes but time will depend upon your own microwave. Here’s what they looked like at each 30 second interval. The marshmallows are ready when they resemble thin frosting when stirred.
- Stir in the cereal with a rubber spatula to prevent sticking. Mix well.
- Pour cereal mixture into a 13X9 pan sprayed with cooking spray and spread. I use a sprayed flat metal spatula to “flatten” the mixture.
- Let cool thoroughly (I used the fridge because of the heat), cut into squares and watch how long it takes for them to disappear! ❤