I know that a dish like this is usually called “Doritos Casserole” or “Doritos Pie”, but as I was preparing it for the oven, I realized that I was layering just as I do when I make lasagna. So…there, we go! Doritos Lasagna! YUM!!
I had some Doritos that I had to use pretty quickly, so I thought I would try to find a fun recipe to use them for a Monday night dinner for my boys. After searching through Pinterest (my best social media friend), I found a base idea with which to work. There are lots of recipes on there that look completely yummy, but I only had certain ingredients to use and I don’t care for the “cream of” soups in my casseroles, with the exception of Green Bean Casserole (oh yummy!) at the holidays.
I’m sure this will resemble many of the recipes you’ll find, but here’s what I used:
- 1 regular-sized bag of Doritos (any flavor would be great, I had Nacho Cheese)
- 1 pound ground turkey, already browned with taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (7 3/4 oz) can El Pato (green can)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- toppings such as chopped jalapeno peppers, chives, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lime, etc. (whatever sounds good to you!)
- Mix the sour cream and El Pato together in a small bowl.
- In a greased casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the following ingredients, the chips, the sour cream-salsa mixture, rice, cheese and then repeat. Make sure to top off with chips (set aside a few while you’re assembling your layers).
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Just make sure the middle is nice and warm when you take it out of the oven.
- Add your toppings of choice after plating and ENJOY!
Trust me, you’ll love how the chips on the top of the dish crunch up in the oven and you’ll wonder why you’ve never had Doritos for dinner before! ❤